“Big Natural” Stoney Keeley’s Top 10 SUP Matches of 2018
So, our guy “The General” John Mosley took a STAB at this one (pun intended without apology) before the holiday break, and put together an impressive list. But, I had to take a crack at my own “top 10 SUP matches of the year” as well. I can’t let Mose have all the fun. That’s actually in the SoBros employee handbook – “don’t let Mose have all the fun.” So, I’m really just abiding by the company policy in completing this list.
Catch up on our ‘Best of 2018’ Wrestling Awards
Top 10 SUP Matches of 2018
10. Samantha Heights vs. Allie Kat (Not Problematic) – It was the first women’s match in SUP history and you couldn’t have asked for a better place to start. That card, as a whole, was the best in SUP history. But, this fun contest got the crowd hot early.
9. Kevin Ku vs. Eddy Only (Streets of Hate) – This was one of those pleasant surprises that you didn’t see coming. Mose nailed it in his list when he said that these guys had chemistry – it was completely unexpected, but the match of the night. The Production has a bright future in SUP’s blossoming tag team division.
8. Gunner Miller vs. Craig Mitchell (Achy Breaky Heart) – One of the handful of matches in SUP last year that I don’t feel enough people are talking about. Mitchell was a revelation in SUP in 2018, and it appears he’s poised for a good run in 2019. If you’re familiar with Miller’s work in Tennessee, then you already understand the gravity of his pedigree. This was a good old fashioned bruiser.
7. They Might Be Giants vs. No New Friends (Not Problematic) – An underrated program between Danny Adams and Marko Stunt culminated in one of the best tag matches of the year. I still don’t think I’ve ever heard as loud a pop as Stunt tagging in Cabana Man Dan that evening. Goosebumps.
6. Kerry Awful vs. Mance Warner (Achy Breaky Heart) – Who doesn’t love a good wrestling feud centered around one man sleeping with another man’s mama? All shenanigans aside, this was just a damn good match.
5. Kerry Awful vs. O’Shay Edwards (Not Problematic) – I loved how physical this contest was, but it also showed off how willing both of these guys are to get their hands dirty. Just a brutal, stiff bout.
4. The Carnies vs. Sadkampf (All Eyez On Me)/Brett Ison vs. Marko Stunt (All Eyez On Me) – Yes, technically, this makes this a top 11 list, but I’m the Editor here and I make the rules. People are sleeping on just how good that tag match really was. It could’ve easily been the finale to SUP’s Tag Team Championship tournament. Instead, it kicked it off. Completely stoked to see tag titles come to town. Meanwhile, the Ison-Stunt showdown couldn’t have been more perfect – a guy who is universally hated kicking the dog shit out of a guy who is universally loved? Not to mention, it was a huge shift in momentum in the SUP landscape. I couldn’t pick between these two on this show, so I’m picking both.
3. Effy vs. Nick Iggy (Not Problematic) – The people voted this one as the greatest SUP match of the year, and it’s hard to disagree. This was sports entertainment at its finest, folks. Where else will you see a match end via dick pic?
2. The SUPer Scramble (Not Problematic) – I get it, I get it. Scramble matches aren’t for everyone. But, if you didn’t enjoy this one, then you have a huge dump in your pants. For God’s sake, Mance Warner pulled a knife on someone.
1. Kevin Ku vs. “Hot Sauce” Tracy Williams (Don’t Look in the Basement East) – Best pure wrestling match in SUP history. I’m calling it. I am sweating just thinking about this match. These two laid it all on the line and didn’t hold back one bit.
Anything that Mose or I left off? Let us know – sound off!
Stoney Keeley is the Editor in Chief of The SoBros Network. He is a strong supporter of Team GSD and #BeBetter. “Big Natural” covers the Tennessee Titans, Alabama Crimson Tide football, the WWE, and a whole wealth of nonsense. Follow on Twitter @StoneyKeeley