The SoBros Top 10: Christmas Movies
‘Tis the season. We’ve got a long list of Christmas movies to get through, so I’ll spare you guys a long introduction here. Brandon, Cadbury, Lane, Mose, and myself got together and hashed out our favorite Christmas movies of all time of ever. I’ve listed every movie mentioned below. LFG.
*Krampus – “Fun horror comedy for the whole family.” -Lane
*The Night Before – Really underrated comedy in the Christmas genre.
*Bad Santa – “What can I say? I love low down, dirty Billy Bob as Santa. Also, Bernie Mac was the guy.” -Mose
*Love Actually – “Set around Christmas time. Good enough for me.” -Lane
*Gremlins – People overlook Gremlins among the pantheon of great Christmas movies.
*Die Hard – “Fuck you, Bruce Willis. You were in a Christmas movie. Deal with it.” – Lane, “Yippee ki yay mother fuckers” -Mose
The SoBros Top 10 – Christmas Movies
10. Christmas with the Kranks – “Fuck yeah Tim Allen AND Jamie Lee Curtis.” -Lane. I’m not going to lie, I’m completely with Lane on this one. I enjoy this movie every year at Christmastime, and think it’s underrated in the grand scheme of this conversation. Is Tim Allen the king of Christmas? It’s a fair question.
9. Disney’s A Christmas Carol – People will shit on this one, but honestly, it’s my favorite version of this classic tale. It’s just so dingy and creepy and off-feeling. I can’t help but be drawn to the visual spectacle this one is.
8. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (TV Special) – “Just an absolute classic.” -Mose. I honestly can’t top that quote from Mose. The TV special is much better than the live action version. I haven’t seen Benedict Cumberbatch’s version yet, but I’d be willing to bet that nothing can top the original.
7. Elf – “It’s that new classic and Haley’s #1 Christmas movie ever.” -Mose. Glad to see Haley getting in on the action here. I nearly Elf’ed myself to death in the mid-2000s, watching it over and over and over every year there for a while. I skipped out on it the last several years, but it’s coming back around on me.
6. The Santa Clause – “Fuck yeah Tim Allen.” -Lane. Brandon and Lane both had The Santa Clause pretty high on their lists, and really – it’s a testament to Tim Allen’s status as the official unofficial king of Christmas.
5. Adam Sandler’s Eight Crazy Nights – This isn’t even a Christmas movie, but for some reason, we all keep ranking it on our Christmas movies list. Every year, I ask, “should we be including this? Isn’t it technically a Hanukkah movie?” For some reason, no one ever answers that question….so it keeps ending up on this list….because it’s an awesome movie.
4. Home Alone – Definitely warrants a spot on the Mount Rushmore of Christmas movies as one of the most iconic films in the genre’s history.
3. The Polar Express – I still say it – no movie brings back the magic of being a kid at Christmas like The Polar Express.
2. A Christmas Story – I’ve never seen A Christmas Story, so I’ll have to leave it to Mose to explain this one: “I can’t tell you how many times I fell asleep to the ’24 Hours of a Christmas Story’ marathon growing up. This was/is THE Christmas movie in my house.” -Mose.
1. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – It’s been the gold standard for a long time, and I imagine it will be the gold standard for a long time to come. It just doesn’t get any bigger or better than the Griswold family, particularly Cousin Eddie. Merry Christmas. Shitter’s full.
What do you guys think? What did we leave off? What’s your favorite Christmas movie of all time? Let us know.
Stoney Keeley is the Editor in Chief of The SoBros Network. He is a strong supporter of Team GSD and #BeBetter. “Big Natural” covers the Tennessee Titans, Alabama Crimson Tide football, the WWE, and a whole wealth of nonsense. Follow on Twitter @StoneyKeeley